Our body comprises what we eat. Exercises do play a role in providing fitness to our body, but in the end, it all depends upon what kind of food we are taking. A healthy diet can not only keep you fit but also prevent certain diseases.
Carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals all are types of nutrients that nourish our body. Having a balanced diet contains all the nutrients that make sure that there are no deficiencies and hormonal imbalances in the body. Nutrition also provides immunity to our bodies to fight against diseases.
Two types of nutrients are required by our body, Macronutrients, and Micronutrients. Macronutrients are needed by the body in large quantities whereas micronutrients are needed in less quantity.
- Carbohydrates – These are the major nutrients required by our body and provide metabolism. Sugar, starch, and fiber are major carbohydrates. Sugar breaks down and absorbs easily. They provide instant energy to the body. Bread, rice, and potatoes are major sources of sugar. Our body breaks some part of the fiber and provides energy whereas others pass through the body. Starch is a complex carb. It takes some time for our body to break down and metabolize. Fibers decrease the risk of diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, etc.
- Proteins – when the body breaks down protein, it helps in building muscle mass. Protein is one of the most important parts of nutrients that are required by our body. Cereals and pulses are the major sources of proteins.
- Fats – some amounts of fats are also very important to our body. It helps in lubrication of joints, reduces inflammation, helps the body in absorbing certain vitamins, and takes part in the production of different hormones. Though excess fats can lead to obesity, high cholesterol and many other diseases. That’s why it should be consumed in a controllable manner. Meat, baked products etc. are saturated fats that are unhealthy and should be consumed less whereas nuts, seeds, avocados, oils are unsaturated fats that support health.
- Vitamins – Our body needs different types of vitamins to fight deficiencies and disorders. For example, vitamin A is essential for having healthy eyes. Vitamin B is needed for the growth, development and functioning of various body tissues. Vitamin D gives strength to bones.
- Minerals – Apart from oxygen, our body needs some amount of minerals to function properly such as iron. Potassium, zinc etc.
Benefits of some of the minerals:
Iron is responsible for the formation of red blood cells and connective tissues. Iron deficiency can lead to anemia. Spinach, tofu, lentils etc. are rich sources of iron.
Potassium helps the heart, kidney, muscles and nerves to work effectively. The deficiency of potassium can lead to high blood pressure, kidney stones. Good sources are coconut water, avocados, dried fruits etc.
Calcium is needed for strong bones and teeth. It also helps in the functioning of the nervous system and heart. Calcium deficiency can be responsible for weak bones. Dairy products, tofu, and green vegetables are good sources of calcium.
Magnesium helps in the functioning of muscles and nerves. Helps in regulating blood sugar levels, controlling blood pressure. Too little consumption of magnesium can lead to weakness, nausea, sleep conditions, restless legs etc. Beans, nuts and spinach can be taken to fulfill the need for magnesium in the body.
Why do we need well balanced nutrition?
When we have a balanced diet with the proper amount of nutrition in it, it not only makes our body fit and healthy but also helps in several other ways. Long healthy hairs, glowing skin all can be ours if we have a nutritious diet and avoid junk foods.
Following are the advantages of having a well-balanced nutritious meal are:
- Maintaining weight – there is a misconception that only proper exercise and supplementary diets can help us to have a healthy and muscular body. This is not true. A well-balanced diet with all the necessary nutrients is the key to a healthy body. Avoid junk foods and include all types of fruits and fibers in your diet.
- Boosting the immune system – our immune system requires all the necessary vitamins and minerals to function properly. If we consume a diet that consists of fruits, vegetables and low-fat food, our immune system functions optimally and keeps our body away from certain diseases and immune deficiencies.
- Delays the aging signs – if we take food that consists of vitamins and minerals that are good for our skin, for example, tomatoes are rich in vitamin C which helps building collagen can help in making the skin tight and glowing. Berries contain vitamin C and antioxidants which helps in the regeneration of new cells. If we maintain discipline and follow this diet throughout our lives, this can help in slowing the onset of aging signs such as dull skin, wrinkles etc.
- Provides energy to the body – our body consumes nutrition from the food and liquid we take and provides energy. The main nutrients that are needed by our body are carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins. Another main requirement is water which is responsible for the transport of nutrients.
- Prevention of diseases – several diseases are caused by deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals and sometimes can be life-threatening such as heart diseases, diabetes etc. a well-balanced nutritious diet can not only prevent these diseases but can also lower its danger.
- Prolong your life – there is a saying that if you eat healthily, you will live for hundreds of years. Well not hundreds but with healthy eating habits and a disciplined lifestyle, you certainly can add more years to your life. Today we are more reliant on junk and fast foods which are high in cholesterol and unhealthy fats which lead to certain types of diseases. By choosing a nutrition-rich food, we certainly overcome the dangers.
- Helps in maintaining overall well-being – eating healthy can not only help in having a healthy body but also a healthy mind. Eating healthy foods act as a stress buster and keeps the mood light. Iron and omega 3 fatty acids have the quality of boosting your mood.
Healthy eating habits are the most important need in today’s world. People have a habit of eating ready-made food items which are great in taste but can be very damaging to the body.
Going to the gym and consuming supplementary food and drinks can sure make you a bodybuilder from the outside but you won’t be healthy from inside. A well-balanced nutrition-rich food has no alternative.
If you have difficulty, talk to a nutritionist and maintain a diet chart.
“HAVE A NUTRITION-RICH DIET & GET A STRONG IMMUNITY”.